Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Splish...Splash...

I was takin' a bath - well, not really but that's how it felt.

I entered the locker room and it was silent. I checked how many lanes were open in the pool and no one was swimming. I changed, I showered and still no one. Now, this is strange. I swim at lunch and usually, there are multiple people swimming there with me. So I thought maybe I missed the sign saying that the pool was closed or enter with caution. But no, it just so happened that there was no one there.

If you think running is a lonely sport, I think swimming is the loneliest sport. So imagine that I am jumping into an empty pool, I swim a few laps and realize that if I swim as if no one is watching ('cause this time no one is watching) then I start to flounder. I don't breathe correctly, water gets up my nose, I start running, doing water aerobics; everything but swim.

Luckily, there were a few people that joined me after about 10 minutes of alone time. But I just couldn't get into a swimming workout. I still was able to workout since I am floating all of my weight in the water and getting from one end to the other - it's just a lot less graceful. So, as soon as I saw someone waiting for a lane, I decided to get out. Why waste a lane when someone who wants to swim deserves it? I'll tell you why - because that person isn't grateful for the lane; she wants a middle lane to swim in and not a side lane. And I wish I had told her, "Hey lady! When you're waiting for a lane, you take what you get - beggars can't be choosers. And P.S. I only got out because you were waiting. I still had 10 minutes left of bath time."

No comments:

Post a Comment