Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Running home...

Have you ever noticed that it's easier to run away than to run back? 56 streets and a few avenues later, I was home. But this time, I had thought of everything under the sun and it still took forever to get back.

Nutrition -
Note to self: don't eat donuts and hot chocolate for breakfast thinking that you'll burn the calories, later. My blood was clogged with so much sugar today that I felt like my body had to work three times as hard as moving a ton of bricks. And if anyone tells you that it doesn't matter what you eat while you're training for a marathon; it's just about getting in enough calories, think again.

Obstacles -
Why is it that when a moving object comes directly at you, you don't move (or even better, you decide to move right in front of me)? It's only three miles from work to home, but I felt like I ran twice as far weaving in and out of traffic (humans, bicycles and even a 18 foot box truck - the driver glared at me like I was in HIS way and then continued with some sexist comment).

Balance of Transit -
So...it didn't take me that much longer to run home than it would to take the train. Therefore, I should run home everyday, right? Well...it's not wrong, but it's not entirely right. Running home means leaving a lot of things at the office so although the commute is just as long, it's kind of inconvenient. But what about running with a backpack? I could do that with just a little extra planning. And then, the ultimate - why not ride my bike? If only I didn't fear city traffic like I do sharks, it would be an option. I have no problem riding in the park where motor vehicles are not allowed, but I haven't figured out how to safely get from my home to the park. And in the end all these excuses just really mean that I'm lazy.

Three miles; three topics. Not too bad for someone who refuses to listen to headphones while running. I'm sure there were more, but I was so tired and hungry when I got home that I quickly forgot how excruciating the run was and starting gorging food (not donuts) and drinking gatorade. Let's hope I continue to forget so that I can continue this "tradition" - maybe trend is a better word or better yet, fad - from one week to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment