Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dear Athens...

Last night was my last run before we arrive in Athens. Yes, Athens, Greece. No, not Athens, Georgia. A nice easy run and I feel good; barring the fact that I woke up two nights ago with a Charley Horse in my left calf. I can still feel the tightness, but a little more calcium and potassium and my muscles should not do that again.

Side note: I tried looking up ways to ease the pain and everything I found was preventative. But what about when you're actually in the moment and all you want to do is make the pain go away?! Nothing. So, here's to everyone that has experienced a Charley Horse. If you experience it again, breathe through the pain. This is based on my newly gained knowledge as an Applied Physiology and Nutrition student.

Your muscles contract and relax based on the amount of calcium and ATP (or energy) in your body. The calcium activates the energy and proteins necessary to tighten your muscles. But your body relies on energy to relax your muscles. Breathing provides your body with oxygen. Oxygen is necessary for your cells - specifically the mitochondria - to create a maximum amount of energy. Therefore, breathing will create the energy needed to relax your muscles and get you through the pain of a Charley Horse. Now that the science lesson is over, I would like to draft a letter to Athens.

Dear Athens,

Last we met was rather memorable. You could say that you left a mark on me, forever. When I arrived at the airport, my luggage was still in Malta. An 8 hour layover at one of the smallest airports I have ever seen and still, my luggage didn't make it with me - it was also the only time during my trip around the world that I had to check-in suitcase. Not your fault, I know.

But then there was the issue at the hotel. They originally had me booked for three nights and when I changed the reservation to two nights, somehow my reservation was down to one. But I didn't get a refund for two nights, I only received a refund for one. I didn't immediately pay the hotel for the second night because I thought maybe I could find a cheaper place.

Well, the day that I went exploring (and on a hike) toward the Olympic Stadium, I stumbled into a hole. This hole was rather large and in the middle of the sidewalk. The only reason I stepped into it was because I was trying to grab a bottle of water to quench my thirst - it was the middle of summer and the middle of the day. By stumbling, I twisted my ankle. I was in so much pain that I could not stand up. I thought I had actually broken my ankle, instead. After about 5 minutes of shock and pain, I decided it was a good idea to walk 1.5 miles back to the hotel. On second thought, that was NOT a good idea.

I hobbled back into the hotel lobby, sat down on their couch and iced my ankle until it was time to make the decision. Pay for the extra night - hoping to be reimbursed or move? But what did I have to move; on top of the fact that I could barely walk, my luggage still had not arrived . So, I paid the extra night hoping to be reimbursed AND hoping that my luggage would arrive before the next morning because I was leaving for Italy.

It takes 20 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel - by bus. It took four hours for my luggage to arrive to the hotel after it landed. I just made it to the port before my boat left for Italy. And in the end, I received a reimbursement check for the extra night's stay. My ankle reduced in swelling very rapidly - maybe walking home did help, but the memories will be with me forever.

Oh, Greece...how I hope the second trip will be more favorable. Over 26.2 miles of land to cover, I should see all the sights I missed the last time. And I get to spend a few extra days on the island of Crete where I hope to sleep and relax until it is time to return to the life of a non-city city girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment