Thursday, September 9, 2010

Running as Therapy

It's always hard to get out there when your schedule takes over. But at the end of the day, it's worth it.

Yesterday was an all-around gloomy day - the weather started off overcast and rainy; I wasn't in the best of spirits and the work day didn't help - neither did the subway ride home. Luckily, I had the right mind to gchat my running partner and have her "convince" me that we should go for a run and vent. By the time I decided to gchat her, I knew that the only choice I had was to go running.

We agreed to do a tempo workout and as smart as I am, I scarfed down an entire hot dog prior to the run. It was there for the dog (as in our puppy), but I couldn't resist eating it - I could make him another one when I got back. But a tempo run and brisk jog later, I felt much better. I was able to run off some of that negative energy as well as vent a little bit to settle my mind.

Lesson Learned: Next time, you think about going to your therapist (or in my case, think about sitting at home and eating ice cream), think about how much money you could save with a running buddy and a pair of sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment