Saturday, September 11, 2010

Murphy's Law and the Inevitable Injury

Well...it's here - peak training season and with it comes a slew of oddities.

I woke up this morning with a pain in my knee. Not a sharp pain, but enough to give me a slight limp. And as unexpectedly as it started, the pain went away and then came back, again. For the past few months - wait, make it over a year - I would make any excuse not to go running. But today, I was adamant about going running. My running buddy was expecting me to go double digits and I didn't want to let her down. I could have also been using running to procrastinate for something else - like taking my mid-term? So, I compromised and ran 3 miles; giving my knee some time to rest before the 18 mile tune-up run next week - that means it's the LAST long run before Athens - EEK!

So, what is it? My lack of training that is causing my knee to hurt or overuse? This is why this is my absolutely LAST marathon (for a while). I would like to say that I'm retiring, but given my track record, the last four marathons were my absolute LAST. Running marathons can be compared to giving birth (not that I would know) - it hurts like hell, but for whatever reason, you go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment