Wednesday, September 1, 2010

59 days to go...

So, I was cruelly reminded that I have less than 60 days before I run the 2500th anniversary of a marathon in the "original" location - original is in quotes because the length of a marathon, today is slightly longer than Pheidippides' fatal run - 1.35 miles to be exact. I mean, really, who decides to lengthen a race that killed the messenger? The Queen of England, of course.

Anyway...training has been - let's just say - going. Not only have I paid to register for the race, the travel and the hotel, but I have also paid to run "mini" races in the meantime. In all honesty, I'm not motivated enough to run 16 miles by myself in the blazing heat. Luckily, this past weekend's long run was very cool for an East Coast summer. In another few weeks, I'm registered to run 18 - so I'll have at the very least put in the time and some of the mileage.

This is my fifth marathon - and it will be my last. I'm retiring. I would prefer to keep my original knees and hips when I'm 60, but perhaps, the damage is already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment