Thursday, September 2, 2010

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

I wish!! It would beat having to carry around those carbohydrate packed gel-like substances which have since been made better as gummies or jelly beans. It would also beat the heat...90s and 50% humidity. Let's just say that my transition back to the east coast from sunny, temperate Northern California was much different from moving out there. I moved out there and started running all year round. I moved back here and found every excuse not to run - it's too cold, it's too hot, it's raining, etc.

Luckily, my friend from college connected me to his friend (9 months late - but who's counting...) and she coincidentally became my running buddy. It's always hard to find a running buddy especially since I'm not the fastest long distance runner nor do I have the most endurance. To be compatible, you have to be comfortable with one another; not only in pace, but also in personality. Does she talk too much; too little? Am I keeping her from running faster or are we pushing each other to the finish line? Although we run different races (not on purpose), we have the same running philosophy which makes running a lot more FUN!

But also, she keeps me from bailing on my scheduled run. Don't get me wrong, I still find excuses not to run, but I run a lot more often in the heat and humidity than I would have otherwise. It's taken a few months, but I am more inclined to say "yes" when people ask if I'm a runner whereas before, I felt a little guilty in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment